Terms and Conditions
2018 ZAYED FUTURE ENERGY PRIZE
The following Guidelines and terms and conditions form the basis of the rules that will govern the Zayed Future Energy Prize (hereafter referred to as the "Prize").
- Masdar reserves the right to publish details of the nominees, entrants, finalists and winners of the Prize on the Prize website and in other promotional and publicity material as it considers appropriate, including (without limitation) for the purpose of promoting Masdar and/or the World Future Energy Summit. By entering, entrants agree that they will be willing and available to participate in publicity and promotional activities and events and/or press conferences and that Masdar shall be entitled to use entrants' names, photographs, country of residence (but not full address) and other relevant information in publicity throughout all media free of charge.
- Entrants shall not take part (or agree to take part) in any media coverage, or make any press releases or other announcements regarding participation in the Prize without the prior agreement of Masdar. No entrant shall refer to the Prize or permit it to be referred to by any third party for the purpose of promoting or publicising any company or business other than Masdar.
- Notwithstanding the paragraph above, following the announcement of the Awards, the winner and runners-up may refer to the Prize and that they have been given the Award. If referring to the Prize or the Award for the purpose of promoting or publicising any company or business other than Masdar the winner or runners-up must get the consent of Masdar.
- Masdar may enter into discussions with the entrants regarding the potential publication of the submissions.
- The submission should be sufficiently detailed and clear to enable the judges to analyse properly and to form a view on all elements of the submission and the nominee.
- Entries will not be returned.
- Entrants may be required to provide further information to assist the judges in assessing the submission and each entrant agrees to fully co-operate with the judges. Information which is not in the public domain and is marked by the entrant as confidential shall be treated as confidential by Masdar and the judges, but each entrant is advised to take independent legal advice relating to the protection of any invention or know-how that is included within the submission. Masdar shall not be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any information submitted over the Internet, but shall use reasonable efforts to keep such information confidential.
- The entrant warrants that it has truthfully and accurately completed the submission and acknowledges and agrees that Masdar may in its sole discretion disqualify the entrant from the Prize at any stage if the entrant has provided any untruthful, inaccurate or misleading details or information in the submission and/or has failed to abide by the terms and conditions of participation.
- The entrant warrants that it owns the intellectual property rights relating to the submission or has obtained any licences required to use the intellectual property rights relating to the submission.
- As between Masdar and the entrant, the entrant shall retain ownership of any intellectual property rights in its submission.
- Masdar, the selection committee or the judges (as the case may be) may decline to submit a nomination or consider a submission if, in the sole discretion of Masdar, the selection committee or the judges, the submission infringes the intellectual property rights of a third party. Any such decision shall be final and non-appealable.
- Any cash awards ("Awards") will be awarded at the sole discretion of the judges. The decision of the judges shall be final and non-appealable and no correspondence will be entered into. The judges will be under no obligation to provide any reasons for their decision.
- Masdar shall retain all nominations and submissions and may use such nominations and submissions at its discretion to analyse the success and future of the Prize.
- Judging of all submissions will be conducted by a highly respected international panel of judges (provided that if any judge shall be unable to judge the entries, such judge(s) may be replaced by an alternate judge(s) selected by agreement of the remaining judges).
- The evaluation committee reserves the right to take external advice and guidance from such other experts as they consider appropriate, including but not limited to advice relating to the originality of the submission and whether the submission infringes the intellectual property rights of a third party.
- No member of the evaluation committee shall (a) have personal or financial interests in, or be an employee, officer, director, or agent of any entity that is a registered participant in the Prize (or sponsor or financier of any such participant); or (b) have a familial or financial relationship with an individual who is a registered participant or participant sponsor.
- If the judges consider that the criteria have been met and that one or more of the finalists should win some or all of the prize pool, Awards will be awarded and the winners will be announced by Masdar in accordance with the Guidelines.
- The evaluation committee will be under no obligation to declare a winner or winners or make any award. As set out above, the committees' decision shall be final and non-appealable.
- Selection of top entries will be undertaken by the selection committee to be put forward for consideration by the judges.
- The finalists will be selected based on stringent judging criteria.
- The selection committee reserves the right to take external advice and guidance from such other experts as they consider appropriate, including but not limited to advice relating to the originality of the submission and whether the submission infringes the intellectual property rights of a third party.
- No member of the selection committee shall (a) have personal or financial interests in, or be an employee, officer, director, or agent of any entity that is a registered participant in the Prize (or sponsor or financier of any such participant); or (b) have a familial or financial relationship with an individual who is a registered participant or participant sponsor.
The fund allocation per category is as follows:
- Large Corporation: No monetary value (Recognition Award)
- SME: US$ 1,500,000
- Non-Profit Organisation (NPO/NGO): US$ 1,500,000
- Lifetime Achievement for an Individual: US $500,000
Global High Schools (International): US $500,000 (Divided amongst 5 Global High Schools in 5 different regions, awarding each up to US$ 100,000)
- The Americas
- There is no alternative to the cash Award.
- The Awards shall be used by the winners per category to further the ideas and ambitions within the winning submissions.
- An Award may be subject to withholding tax (if applicable) and/or income tax or other applicable tax which shall be payable by the winner or the runners-up as applicable. Masdar shall not be liable for any taxes which are or become payable on the Award.
- An Award may be revoked and a refund required if it is discovered that a winner has provided misleading or erroneous information within the submission or it is subsequently discovered that the submission infringes the intellectual property rights of a third party.
The Zayed Future Energy Prize is open to all entrants other than:
- (a) board members and employees of Masdar; and
- (b) anyone who has been involved in organising, promoting or judging the Prize.
- Masdar, the selection committee and the judges reserve the right and have full discretion to reject or not select any nomination or submission for any reason that may, in the sole opinion of the select committee, the judges or Masdar, damage the reputation of the Prize, the UAE, Abu Dhabi or Masdar or bring the Prize, the UAE, Abu Dhabi or Masdar into disrepute. The decision of the selection committee, the judges or Masdar shall be final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
- Masdar accepts no liability for entries lost, damaged or delayed in transmission and proof of submitting an entry is not proof of receipt.
- Masdar reserves the right to modify the Guidelines and these Terms and Conditions of Participation as necessary during the term of the challenge. Masdar will update registered entrants or related parties as appropriate as to any such modifications.
- In registering to enter the Prize, each entrant does not rely on, has not relied on, and shall have no remedy in respect of, any statement, representation, warranty or other provision (in any case whether oral or written, express or implied and whether negligently or innocently made) of any person which is not expressly set out in the Guidelines and/or these Terms and Conditions of Participation.
- Masdar shall be free to assign, transfer, sub-license or otherwise dispose of or deal with its rights under the Guidelines and/or these Terms and Conditions of Participation.
- The Prize shall be governed by the Guidelines and these Terms and Conditions of Participation.
- The Guidelines and the Terms and Conditions of Participation are governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Abu Dhabi.
- The courts of the UAE have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any disputes which may arise in connection with the Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Participation.
- Masdar acknowledges that as part of the application process, entrants may be requested to disclose confidential or sensitive information in their submissions. Masdar undertakes to handle any such information submitted – including any financial information pertaining to the applicants – with the strictest of confidence and will only ever disclose such information to members of the selection committee and the panel of judges.